Membership Terms and Conditions
To ensure you fully understand the terms of membership, please read the full text in addition to this summary.
As a member, you're expected to follow all policies and regulations of the club. Similarly, you must follow all lawful instructions given to you not only by club members but also by other personnel. This is detailed in sections 1 and 2 in the full text.
In order to fly, you must be medically fit to do so. Further advice is found in section 3 of the full text below. Note that the blood alcohol limit is 1/4 of the UK driving limit and is in essence a zero tolerance policy. If you have consumed alcohol in the 10 hours leading up to your flight, it is considered likely to impair your judgement and thus you may not be allowed to fly. Additionally, due to aircraft limitations, we cannot fly individuals that weigh more than 231lb (104kg). This includes the weight of a parachute (approximately 10kg). See section 7 below.
By joining, you are agreeing to indemnify the club and agreeing that the club will not be held liable for any damage. In the same way, you are agreeing to take reasonable care of club property. Please read the full text in section 4 and 5 below.
From time to time, the club runs advertisements to promote the club and the sport of gliding. By joining the club, you agree that we may use images and videos taken at club events for these purposes. Section 6 provides more details.
1) I shall be bound by the Articles, Rules and Operating Requirements, Byelaws and Gliding Regulations of the Club from time to time currently in force.
2) At all times whilst on the airfield from time to time being utilised by the Club, I shall obey all lawful instructions given to me by authorised agents of the owner or occupier of the airfield (at Weston-on-the-Green this includes, but is not limited to, Royal Air Force personnel), gliding instructors, duty pilots or other persons in authority and concerned with the safety and general operations of the airfield or the Club.
3) I declare I am not suffering from any mental or physical disability that may create or lead to a dangerous situation in flight. IN PARTICULAR I have not suffered &am not suffering from any of the following: Epilepsy, fits, severe head injury, recurrent fainting, giddiness or blackouts, unusually high blood pressure, coronary thrombosis or stroke, kidney or gall-bladder stones. I do not regularly take insulin or any other drug that is likely to impair my judgement or cause drowsiness &in the event of my having been prescribed medication or of my contracting or suspecting any of the conditions contained in this Clause 3 in the future I shall cease to fly until I have obtained medical opinion. Please note that the consumption of alcohol within ten hours of flying is considered likely to impair the judgement of a pilot rendering him in breach of this declaration.
4) The Club shall not be liable for and I shall INDEMNIFY the Club and hold the Club harmless from and against, any loss or damage sustained by me with respect to any property owned, hired or loaned to me or under my care control and which is brought by me onto any airfield from which the Club is operating or as a general consequence of my membership of the Club even if such loss or damage aforesaid is caused or contributed to by the act, default or neglect of the Club, its authorised servants or agents acting in that capacity. The indemnity herein given shall extend to all loss of, use of, loss or profit from or loss of expectation whatsoever from the aforesaid property. To the extent that this clause may be considered void or void-able under the Unfair Contracts Terms Act 1977 I agree that it shall be valid and subsisting to the extent that a court of competent jurisdiction shall declare this clause to be reasonable.
5) I agree that whilst any property belonging to the Club is within my care and custody or control I shall exercise all reasonable care and diligence to avoid damaging the said property. Notwithstanding the foregoing, if any property belonging to the Club in my care custody or control (not being a glider in which I am receiving instruction from a duly authorised Club gliding instructor) is damaged, I agree that I shall be liable for, and pay the Club, the current sum or sums representing the agreed level of Member’s Liability from time to time in force for each of the item of property thus damaged.
6) I agree to Oxford Gliding club using video or photos obtained at club events for marketing and promotional purposes.
7) The maximum weight to fly in Oxford Gliding Club aircraft, as pilot in command or passenger is 231Ib (104kg). Being under, but close to this maximum weight can restrict your use of some club aircraft. You should seek advice from the club if your weight is close to this limit. It is the responsibility of the visitor or member to inform the CFI and/or duty instructor if their weight exceeds 231Ib (104kg) at any point during the period of their membership.